Saturday

Just waves in space

One evening we sat down and re-watched The Man Who Fell to Earth. I was at a point in my art-project where doubt had crept in and was ready to throw in the towel. I admitted that maybe taking a look at the film may help provide focus or inspiration.

Watching the film really helped me question the project and my practise as I realised that I had been taking everything far too seriously; I needed to slow down and get really low-fi, I had been obsessing on getting things to look right, when the point was to do the opposite.

Taking time out re-assured me this project was not about the movie but a series of related and unrelated moments & recollections. This freed me from having to be faithful to a source, yet I still had to fix the problem of the over exposed Polaroid film...
The Man Who Fell to Earth 1976 © British Lion Film Corporation














With thoughts of towels put to rest I was able to enjoy the film. The last time I'd watched it was years ago via VHS on a proper old telly with that moronic ‘pan and scan’ format, I’m now blown away by the new full HD wide screen 'panorama' version which reminded me why I loved this film so much, that and that its also hilarious. 

I love the dark humour, absurd sex, stumbling, gurning and grimacing..and the little asides from Bowie: Mary-Lou "Your such a nice man" - Newton: "...No I'm Not!"...little things like that had me in stitches.

The Man Who Fell to Earth 1976 © British Lion Film Corporation


The next day Mark Fernyhough posted me a link to a play 'Images of Louise Brooks' on in Berlin starring Candy Clark who he interviewed in a photo shoot with photographer Heike Schneider-Matzigkeit for the Stool Pigeon.

The Stool Pigeon - Interview with Candy Clark
'Images of Louise Brooks' at Studio 44, Berlin. http://www.iolb.de/

The Man Who Fell to Earth 1976 © British Lion Film Corporation














I think Mr. Newton may be pointing me in the right direction after all.


Creative Commons Licence
Unless otherwise noted, copyright of all artworks remains with the artist Hilton Vasey is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.